Tuesday, December 16, 2008

FOOD

Few days back I read in the newspaper that a Japanese restaurant in New York City will charge 3% surcharge on food wasted by the customers. This is really a novel idea from themanagement of the restaurant. I congratulate them for taking this bold step towards humanity. I say humanity because I firmly hold the opinion that wasting food is a crime against humanity.
Many of us must have seen the amount of food that is wasted in our country at homes, parties,weddings and other celebrations. Sometimes the quantity wasted is sufficient to feed an individual for an entire life span. Buffets are meant to regulate our own dietary intake. But many a times we see that people over stuff their plates with extra portions than they may want to eat, thinking that going back for more will be cumbersome. What if you don't enjoy a particular preparation? Wont that be thrown away. The argument that follows is that I cant help it, I did not like it. Also we have paid for it, so it does not matter. I pose a question, how many of us really think this way and if so is it a valid explanation? We all know the answer, but still find it difficult to make an attempt to stop it.
In certain Indian communities there is a practice to force people by filling their plates. Eating what I want and how much I want is my own choice. How can I allow someone else to choose what and how much I need to eat? Most times this also leads to throwing away of food. A large percentage of population in this world still cannot afford one meal a day. I have seen kids eating food thrown into garbage. It is really pathetic. Many times I feel that God has given ample of food to people without hunger and not enough to people with hunger.
Wasting food is a CRIME and we all are criminals. I request all to take whatever steps possible to reduce this crime. It cannot be totally avoided but I am sure the proportion can be brought down substantially. Please spread these opinions and also enlighten me with your thoughts.

No comments: